McGill University Acceptance Rate – Overview
McGill university is one of the best and leading universities based in Montreal, Canada, with an acceptance rate of 48.9% for undergraduate students and 30.4% for graduate students. Also, you need an average of 85% as a requirement, and an average of over 92% as an entering grade, making it one of the competitive universities to apply to in Canada.
To be better positioned for the acceptance rate, you need to know specific basic requirements about the institution. In addition, essential information required to prepare better and meet the entry requirements for McGill university are further discussed below.
Why Should You Study at McGill University?
McGill University is among the most recognized and respected university in the world and boasts of a world-class educational environment and quality of education.
McGill University is an English-speaking Public University in Montreal, established in 1821, offering over 300 undergraduate degree programs and more than 400 graduate degree programs in over 80 departments. The university houses over 39,700 students, which is made up of 27,000 undergraduate students and 10,000 graduate students, and more than 630 postdoctoral scholars.
McGill offers one of the best educational environments needed to study effectively and excel in a wide variety of disciplines. Additionally, McGill has attained several heights academically. Some of which include:
- QS World University Ranking of 27 in excellence in academics and research opportunities
- US News & World Report 2022 ranked it No 51 amongst the best global universities offering quality higher education
- Times Higher Education ranked No 41 in reputation ranking in 2021 and No 44 in university ranking in 2022.
What are the Eligibility Criteria for Admissions at McGill University?
The eligibility criteria differ for undergraduates’ and graduates’ degree programs. Let’s look at it separately.
The Admission Eligibility Criteria for Undergraduate Degree Programs
- International students must have completed high school with a minimum cumulative grade point of 3.2 GPA. The degree must be from a recognized board of education.
- Letters of recommendation from your school
- ACT and SAT scores
- All international students must take an English Proficiency test (TOEFL with a minimum score of 27 and IELTS with a minimum score of 7).
- A Statement of Purpose (SOP) – must be submitted during the application process.
The Admission Eligibility Criteria for Postgraduate Degree Programs
- A Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 (~83-86%). It can be higher for some courses.
- Standardized English language proficiency test (IELTS or TOEFL)
- Letters of recommendations
- Work experience is an added advantage and improves your chances of securing admission.
What are the Documents Needed to Apply for McGill University?
- Copies of your academic transcripts
- Letter of recommendations
- Copies of your standardized tests
- Final High school/Bachelor’s degree result
- Statement of purpose
To verify which supporting documents you need, do click here.
To learn how to prepare your documents to upload, do click here.
How to Apply for Undergraduate Degree Programs at McGill University
- Go to the application portal at University Undergraduate Application, (Do note that the application fee is 114.37 CAD for all undergraduate programs except the Faculty of Medicine/Faculty of Dentistry, which is 160.12 CAD).
- Create an online account and kick-start your application. Ensure you submit your application before the deadlines. Click here to know your deadlines.
- Set a login ID and PIN.
- Choose two programs of your choice and input the required details, including your GPA and test scores.
- After submission, wait for confirmation from the University and permission to submit your supporting documents. Always check your email.
- Check out for an entrance scholarship. Usually, the scholarship deadline is a week after the application deadline. This page provides information on available undergraduate scholarships and various funding opportunities.
How to Apply for Graduate Degree Programs at McGill University
- Contact the department – Before applying, ensure you first contact the department offering your program to establish a relationship. The Graduate Program Coordinator/Administrator will be your main contact and will provide you with all the information you need to make your application successful.
- Find a supervisor – Master’s Thesis and Ph.D. applicants should view faculty member profiles to search for potential supervisors with similar research interests.
- Check out the available funding opportunities.
- Submit your application before the deadline. To confirm the deadline of your program of interest, do click here.
- Visit the University Graduate Application portal (Application fee is
- 125 CAD (~97 USD)
It is advised that you apply early, as international students have earlier deadlines in most faculties.
What are the Popular Courses Offered at McGill University?
McGill University is known to offer degree programs that are well ranked by QS subject rankings and Times Higher Education. They include:
- Computer Science
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Energy and Fuels
- Food Science and Technology
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology
What is the Application Deadline at the McGill University?
The application deadline for the undergraduate degree program is generally on the 15th of January. All supporting documents must be submitted before 15th March.
Undergraduate applicants seeking McGill Major Entrance Scholarship must submit their application before 21st January.
McGill University Visa Requirements for International Students
As an international student, you will need to process a student visa immediately after securing admission to enable you to travel and arrive on time for the school session. Below are the required documents you need to submit for processing:
- Admission Acceptance letter from the University
- Medical certificates and health records
- Valid Passport valid
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Proof of financial support for studying and living in Canada
- Evidence of clean background
- Visa application fee
McGill University is regarded as one of the best universities not only in Canada, but also in the world; as such, the McGill University acceptance rate is highly competitive and selective. Prospective students need to be aware and stay updated on all requirements needed to increase their chances of being accepted into this prestigious university. To learn more about this institution and application process, do visit its official website.